[FieldTrip] granger causality on beamformer data

Julian Keil julian.keil at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:13:03 CEST 2014

Hi Tyler,

sorry if my description was a bit brief, so here's a bit more information.

You need:
1) Virtual Electrodes (you have your 1400 electrodes, so I assume you got that far) and the .pos field with the XYZ-coordinates of the virtual electrodes.
2) A grid with a grid point for each voxel of the MNI brain (That's what you do using ft_prepare_sourcemodel)
3) A "inside" definition for your VOI (That's what you do with ft_volumelookup).

Now, given that your steps 1-3 all are in the same coordinate system, you can simply use pythagoras (s = sqrt((X2-X1)^2 + (Y2-Y1)^2 + (Z2-Z1)^2) to find the minimum distance between each virtual channels of step 1 and all grid points of step 2.

From the min (find the minimum distance) step, you can get the index of closest virtual channel to each grid point. You then apply this index to the output of ft_volumelookup and you have the virtual electrodes inside your ROI.

Best,

Julian