[FieldTrip] efficiently handling multiple events within a trial

anne.urai at gmail.com anne.urai at gmail.com
Sun May 18 19:41:05 CEST 2014

Hi Fieldtrippers,

I have a design in which every trial has several events of interest (two stimuli with a maintenance period in between, response and feedback) - all of which I’d like to analyse at some point. I started by drafting my pipeline separately for stimulus-, response- and feedback-locked trial definitions, but this leads me to do the artefact rejection and ICA multiple times for each subject. I would prefer to reject whole trials and not use any of the events in there, rather than eg. use the response for some and the stimulus for others.

I was wondering if you have any advice on how to best store multiple events in one trial (which would be, say, 12 seconds long, and have 4 different evens in it, at times that would also need to be stored). Would it work better to (1) make one big trialfun and store the onset and offset of each of those events in the trl matrix, or (2) have several trl matrices for each event and redefine the trials based on this trl matrix after I applied some other analyses? For example, it would be nice to run ft_freqanalysis once on the whole trial, and then redefine which part of the trial I’m interested in for plotting.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

Best,

---
Anne E. Urai, MSc
PhD student | Institut für Neurophysiologie und Pathophysiologie
Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany