[FieldTrip] reverse source interpolate?

Erick Ortiz erick.ortiz at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Mar 11 18:35:42 CET 2014

Dear Vitória and Cornelius,

this is a common problem, and maybe it would be good to clarify the
strategies that can be used here. I hope this can help others in a similar
situation, which I have found many times.

1) You are trying to convert voxel indexes to head (CTF) coordinates. In
this case, there are two mistakes in the code:
1a) pos = warp_apply( pinv( sourceNAIInt.transform ), posInt, 'homogeneous'
);
... should be done with sourceNAIInt, not mri. The transforms are
different, in general; e.g. note the downsample=2.
1b) use cfg.locationcoordinates = 'head', as commented by JM in a previous
post. Or remove this line, since 'head' is the default.

2) But if you are working with the same subject/grid, there is no need for
interpolation at all. Simply find the grid position with highest 'pow' and
take its position.
    [dummy,ind] = max(source.avg.pow);
    pos = source.pos(ind,:);

3) However, this is not possible when using different grids, e.g. in a
grand average in MNI coordinates. Find the peak ('pos') in the interpolated
volume, as in Cornelius' code, then find the index of the nearest grid
position for a common (again, MNI) grid. This is also in JM's message.

dpos = source.pos - repmat( pos, size(source.pos,1), 1 );
[dummy,ind] = min(sum(dpos.^2,2));

4) What I have been using, and strongly recommend, is an MNI grid warped to
the subject's anatomy, according to this procedure:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/create_single-subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_space

This would give you both the benefits of working in MNI coordinates, and
the ease of having a common grid across subjects (for instance, enabling
solution #2). Still, some projects do call for one of the other options.

Just a couple of details:
- Pay utmost attention to coordinate systems and units. For instance, it is
common to confuse unlabeled cm for mm, and either of these with voxels. Try
to also label all structures as CTF or SPM (MNI).
- Using pinv instead of inv is usually a good idea. Here, it is a not an
issue, but matrix inversion in MATLAB can lead to a world of hurt to the
unwary.

Best,
Erick