[FieldTrip] Fieldtrip ICA crashes Matlab

Hwee Ling Lee hweeling.lee at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:48:34 CEST 2014

Dear all,

I'm encountering a problem with running ICA in Matlab. After ICA, when I
tried to plot the components, Matlab keeps prompting an internal problem
and needs to be closed. I wonder why this is the case. Could someone please
tell me what went wrong?

Here's part of my script for ICA:

        cfg = []; % if data were cleaned, then use this

        if sub == 5 %|| sub == 7
        cfg.channel = {'all', '-AFz', '-FT7'};
         elseif sub == 7
         cfg.channel = {'all' '-AFz'};
       else
            cfg.channel = {'all'};
        end

        % cfg.runica.pca = 121; % using the rank of my data
        % ic_data = ft_componentanalysis(cfg,cleandata); % if data were
cleaned then use this
        ic_data = ft_componentanalysis(cfg, cleandata);

        % after ICA, look for components that we want to substract from our
data,
        % only looking at ten channels (components) at a time
        cfg = [];
        cfg.dataset = rawdatafile;
        cfg.viewmode = 'component';
        cfg.continuous = 'no';
        cfg.blocksize = 8;
        cfg.channels = 'all';
        cfg.layout = 'EEG1020.lay';
        ft_databrowser(cfg,ic_data);

The internal problem appears even when I downsampled my data from 5000 Hz
to 1000 Hz.

The internal problem appears also when I have short segments of my data
(i.e. 2s per trial), and long segments of my data (i.e. 6s per trial).

The memory of my PC workstation is:
Maximum possible array:     60253 MB (6.318e+10 bytes) *
Memory available for all arrays:     60253 MB (6.318e+10 bytes) *
Memory used by MATLAB:       560 MB (5.872e+08 bytes)
Physical Memory (RAM):     32685 MB (3.427e+10 bytes)

Interestingly, this internal problem does not occur when I ran my script on
my Macbook Pro.

I'm feeling very lost here. Any help is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Hweeling