[FieldTrip] fieldtrip Digest, Vol 40, Issue 33

Johanna Zumer johanna.zumer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:03:52 CET 2014

Hi May, Inna, everyone,

I'm not sure exactly what Inna meant by the ROI, specifically whether the
ROI was applied to source space or to sensors.   Applying a ROI to sources
will not work: the beamformer result at one location in the brain is the
same irrespective of where else you also compute a beamformer result.
However, perhaps Inna meant ROI over channels (e.g. left channels for the
left auditory cortex).  If so, then as she says, it will reduce the problem
a bit but it will still be there.   See cfg.supchan in ft_sourceanalysis.

Indeed the method by Dalal et al. was initially implemented in the NUTMEG
<http://www.nitrc.org/projects/nutmeg/>software (which is compatible with
FieldTrip).  However, it is also now implemented in FieldTrip by using the
cfg.supdip option in ft_sourceanalysis, which allows you to suppress a
region (e.g. right auditory cortex) so that you can estimate activity
elsewhere (e.g. left auditory cortex).

Cheers,
Johanna