[FieldTrip] Preprocessing and analysis of spike and local field potential data - issue with calling certain functions

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jul 22 14:26:27 CEST 2014

Hi Laszlo,

this is a bug in the spike-toolbox, because we made some changes to
FieldTrip. The spike toolbox explicitly checks what fields are in the
cfg and whether the cfg are used in that function - however after
FieldTrip has modified the cfg itself already. Thus, in this case, some
other FieldTrip function has added cfg.progress, and the program code in
ft_spikeXXX was not updated to account for that. As the functions are
all open source, you can easily modify them yourself so that the
function will work in the presence cfg.progress.

Apart from that, we have a bugzilla system:
http://bugzilla.fcdonders.nl/
Would you mind registering and posting your mail as a bug? Then we (aka
Martin Vinck) can fix this bug, and won't forget this issue any time soon ;)

Best,
Jörn

On 7/22/2014 2:09 AM, Laszlo Grand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new FieldTrip user with advanced Matlab programming skills. I
> would like to use FieldTrip for analyzing multichannel local field
> potentials (EEG) and spike data recorded from rats.
> As I go throughout the ‘Preprocessing and analysis of spike and local
> field potential data’ tutorial
> (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/spikefield), I get the
> following error message after calling the ft_spiketriggeredaverage
> function in the ‘Computing the spike triggered average LFP’ section:
>
> *staPost = ft_spiketriggeredaverage(cfg, data_all);*
> the input is raw data with 6 channels and 600 trials
> Error using ft_checkconfig (line 205)
> The field cfg.progress is not allowed
>

> Error in ft_spiketriggeredaverage (line 72)
> cfg = ft_checkconfig(cfg, 'allowed', {'timwin', 'spikechannel', 'channel',
> 'keeptrials', 'feedback', 'latency', 'trials', 'warning'});
>

> In the ‘Computing the phases of spikes relative to the ongoing LFP ‘
> section I receive the same error msg after calling the
> ft_spiketriggeredspectrum function.
> *
> *
> *stsConvol = ft_spiketriggeredspectrum(cfg, data_all);*
>
> the input is raw data with 6 channels and 600 trials
> Error using ft_checkconfig (line 205)
> The field cfg.progress is not allowed
>

> Error in ft_spiketriggeredspectrum_convol (line 135)
> cfg = ft_checkconfig(cfg, 'allowed', {'taper', 'borderspikes',
> 't_ftimwin',
> 'foi', 'spikechannel', 'channel', 'taperopt',
> 'rejectsaturation','tapsmofrq', 'warning'});
>
> Error in ft_spiketriggeredspectrum (line 106)
> sts = ft_spiketriggeredspectrum_convol(cfg,data);
>

> Can anyone help me to understand the cause and resolving this issue?
>
> Thank you,
>
> LG

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student