[FieldTrip] Common Filters Question

Max Cantor mcantor at umich.edu
Tue Jul 15 19:26:33 CEST 2014

In the main beamformer tutorial (
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/beamformer), the common filter is
computed as follows:

cfg.grid.filter = sourceAll.avg.filter;
sourcePre_con  = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, freqPre );
sourcePost_con = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, freqPost);

However, in the separate common filters example script (
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/common_filters_in_beamforming), the
common filter is much more complex.

I've created working versions of both common filters for DICS, as well as a
working version of the 'simple' common filter for LCMV. I have a version of
the 'complex' common filter that should work, but it usually chews up my
computer's RAM (I have 16gb) and crashes matlab. The DICS one is also slow,
but not so bad that it crashes. However, I couldn't imagine running it on
all my datasets and being able to do any stats on the data without my
computer crashing.

Before I post the code to see if maybe there is something wrong with it
causing the memory overloads, I was wondering if anyone could explain to me
what exactly the differences between the two methods are, and if it is even
necessary for me to get the more complex common filter working? The simple
common filters seem to work fine, but they could be affecting the data in
ways that are not obvious, so I want to make sure.

As always, thank you Fieldtrippers

--
Max Cantor
Lab Manager