[FieldTrip] Any insight about Transfer Entropy?

Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov
Thu Jan 30 20:09:09 CET 2014

I saw your earlier message. I think I would be worried that 48 seconds total is not very much data, and only 20 trials is also a small number. I'm not familiar enough with the Ragwitz method so I don't know if it can accurately estimate the embedding dimension from so little data. But it might be a problem.

woun zoo wrote:
> How are you?
>
> I'd like to get some insight from you for transfer entropy analysis of my
> ECoG data before I run all possible parameters. I know this message doesn't
> exactly fit in fieldtrip email list cause question is not exactly about
> fieldtrip. But there are a few connectivity methods in fieldtrip. So I'd
> like to get my questions to reach some of experts in this causality
> analysis field. Besides, I don't know if there is nonlinear time series
> analysis discussion list out there or not.
>
> I'd like to establish some connectivity (functional or effective) between
> frontal and visual channels in ECoG recording.  However, in our data, there
> is a very strong driven component, namely, steady state visually evoked
> potentials.  SSVEPs in our data appear at several frequencies that are
> harmonics of the input frequencies and their sum and difference frequencies
> So our data has a completely deterministic (SSVEPs) dynamics and the rest
> of background activities.
>
> Data has 20 trials in total. Each trial lasts 2.4sec. Sampling rate is
> 1200hz. Raw data were bandpass filtered from 0.1Hz to 500hz.
>
> In order to find an effective connectivity, I chose to use TRENTOOL box
> that can be incorporated with fieldtrip. I chose Ragwitz method to
> determine delay time and embedding dimension. This is where I'd like to get
> some good insight for choosing parameters. I attached a script that I'm
> using now. I wrote my questions in blue text down below. I really wish to
> get some good insight from you because I don't know if my input parameters
> are garbage or not.
>
> cfgTEP.toi = [min(data.time{1,1})  max(data.time{1,1})] --> Basically from
> trial start to trial end.
>
> cfgTEP.predicttimemin_u= 10;
> cfgTEP.predicttimemax_u= 240;  --> For these prediction horizon values, I
> don't know where and how these min and max were used in TEragwitz.m
> calculation in TEprepare.m. Transfer Entropy calculation method (VW_ds)
> fixed 1 as a prediction horizon. I can't find where this min or max of
> predicttime goes inside TEragwitz calculation. VW_ds seems to try to
> predict one time sample point ahead from the current time sample point. Is
> this proper to determine embedding dimension and delay time for SSVEP +
> background activities?
>
> cfgTEP.actthrvalue = 100;   --> I don't know the reason why this
> autocorrelation time value needs to be set by hand. I know with this
> threshold value, you can selectively choose trials. In my data, particular
> channels' autocorrelation values were 54 (sample points), etc. Max
> autocorrelation was 134 or something. Is this due to noise? If I have
> strong oscillatory activities at the driving frequencies, am I not supposed
> to see autocorrelation values close to oscillatory period?
>
> cfgTEP.maxlag      = 1000;  --> What will be a good lag number? Isn't it
> better to use whole trial length?

> [...]

"There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five
give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard." -- Sun Tzu