[FieldTrip] Recording Biosemi GSR data in GDF files

Eric Pohlmeyer notthemindprobe at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 01:11:59 CET 2014

Robert:

Thanks for your suggestions, after doing some digging in the Actiview Labview code and some Biosemi forums posting I found there is some interesting variations in the Biosemi GSR sensors that affect how they are interpreted by the biosemi2ft code and then stored in the GDF files.

Most significantly, for Biosemi there are two channels of analog data the correspond to 1 channel of GSR data.  In other words, to use biosemi2ft to get EEG channels 1:32 you would specify channels 1, 2, .... 32 in the biosemi2ft config file.  This corresponds to biosemi/BDF channels 1:32.  Similarly, if you want the 8 Biosemi external analog channels [biosemi channels 257 to 264] you would specify channels 257 to 264 in the config file for biosemi2ft.

However, if you specify that you want channels 265 and 266 in the biosemi2ft config this witll *not* give you the Biosemi GSR1 and Biosemi GSR2 channels.  Instead you will get two voltage measurements that are both used by Actiview to calculate GSR1.  Therefore you need to set up the biosemi2ft config file to recorded channels 265->268 [4 channels] in order the get the raw data that is used by Biosemi to calculate the contents of its channels 265(GSR1) and 266 (GSR2).

Actiview does something along the following with the pairs of channels to calculate GSR (the following would be for GSR1, GSR2 would use channels 268&267)
GSR1 = CH266-CH265
low pass filter GSR
GSR1 = 13.3*GSR
Max and minimum substraction in a sliding window (128 data points for a complete 16Hz excitation wave cycle when data is at 2048Hz, there is 50% window overlap)
GSR1 = GSR1/8192
GSR1 = 1/GSR1
GSR1 = 1E+9 * GSR1

There can be some variation to account for different speed modes/sampling rates (I've been running at 2048Hz).  There is also additional operations for verifying data integrity, and converting data types.

Anyway, one of the big things to be aware of is that when you go beyond channel 264 there is no longer a 1:1 relationship in the Biosemi data channeling numbering and the way that the biosemi2ft is accessing the (raw) data.  I haven't used any of the other Biosemi sensor data, but some of the messages in their forums suggest that the ERGO, RESP and TEMP sensors as well under go additional processing in Actiview.  So I don't know if there are multiple channels of 'raw' data that correspond to each of those.

Best,

Eric

 Message: 1