[FieldTrip] ft_regressconfound

Stolk, A. (Arjen) a.stolk at fcdonders.ru.nl
Mon Feb 10 19:13:58 CET 2014

Dear Raghavan,

> I have another question. I understand ft_regressconfound must be the
> last
> step. However, can time frequency calculation be done on data after
> employing regressconfound? Or would you suggest doing trial by trial
> time
> frequency calculation, then compensate using regressconfound and then
> compute timelock? Is there a reason not to do the former way?

I would recommend doing the latter, provided that you meant to say 'compute statistics' instead of 'compute timelock'. When ft_regressconfound is applied to raw/ERF data, trial-by-trial adjustments are made to the data, according to explained variance by head movements (and thus differences in distances to the sensors). Subsequently performing time frequency analysis on this data may give a distorted view of signal frequency powers.

Note that if a source reconstruction analysis is also one of your follow-up steps, it is recommended to do this on the 'original' data, and then use ft_regressconfound at the source level. See 'Practical issues' on this page for the rationale behind this:

http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/how_to_incorporate_head_movements_in_meg_analysis

In sum, ft_regressconfound is best used as a last step prior ft_xxxstatistics.

Yours,
Arjen