[FieldTrip] specifying the variables for ft_specest_mtmfft

Hwee Ling Lee hweeling.lee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:57:20 CET 2014

Dear all,

I'm new to fieldtrip, and I would like to estimate the spectrum
using ft_specest_mtmfft. With the help function, I understand that there
are certain variables that I need to input in order for the mtmfft to work.

I have some questions regarding the input variables.

I have 4 intracranial channels and I cut my trials into segments of 2048
datapoints. My sampling resolution is 1000 Hz.

Variables that I know what the inputs are:
For dat, I know that this is the raw data for each segment.
For time, I know that this is the time vector of each segment (in my case,
it would be 0:0.001:2.048).
For taper, I will be using 'hanning'.
For freqoi, I'm interested in the frequency from 1:150.

Variables that I don't know and not sure what to input:
For ntaper, I would like to use multiple taper, however, I'm not sure how
many number of tapers I should use.
For spectrum, it states that it requires a matrix of taper*chan*freqoi of
fourier coefficients. I'm not sure what this means at all.

Could someone please help me with the variables that I'm not sure of?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Hweeling