[FieldTrip] ft_timelockgrandaverage -- bug or as-designed?

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Feb 11 17:24:24 CET 2014

Dear Alik,

Thanks for reporting this. To me it sounds indeed like a bug. It would be great if you could file this as such on our bugzilla bug-tracking system. www.bugzilla.fcdonders.nl. If you create yourself an account and file a new bug, with the contents of this e-mail, we can take it from there. If you already have a fixed version of the code, feel free to attach it as attachment to the bug ;-).

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs

On Feb 11, 2014, at 5:11 PM, Alik Widge wrote:

> I have encountered a behavior with ft_timelockgrandaverage that seems to me to be a bug, but I'm not quite sure. Hence why I am asking here and not just filing a bug. I'm using the attached .mat, and you can replicate the behavior with:
>
>         cfg = [];
>         cfg.channel = 'all';
>         cfg.keepindividual = 'no';
>         cfg.method = 'within';
>
> out_data = ft_timelockgrandaverage(cfg,Dstruct.on.MSITOnset.global.x{:});
>

> This will crash due to an array dimension mismatch. It does so because my different subjects/blocks in x{:} have different numbers of samples. Up around line 147, the ft_ function goes through varargin{:} and cuts down the averaged variable (in my case, 'avg') so that it has the same number of samples in each of the varargin{:} data structures.
> The thing that I feel is a bug: it cuts the data, (expressed as  varargin{i}.(cfg.parameter) ), but it does NOT similarly cut the variance ( varargin{i}.var ) or the per-timepoint DOF ( varargin{i}.dof ). As a result, when it gets to line 193 and tries to do
>
>       avgmat(s, :, :) = varargin{s}.(cfg.parameter).*varargin{s}.dof;
>
> the (cfg.parameter) and dof matrices are now of different sizes, and we crash.
>
> I can add my desired behavior to a local copy of the function and keep working, but would appreciate some advice on whether this is actually a bug, or somehow a design feature that I've failed to understand.
>

> Alik Widge
> alik.widge at gmail.com
> (206) 866-5435

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl