[FieldTrip] freqanalysis

Victoria Schröder victorias at dsv.su.se
Mon Feb 3 11:15:07 CET 2014

Dear Jörn,

the code works but i dont know whether my data is logical and whether i
decided to use the right method etc.

My trials are pretty long (approx 30 sec but all are not the same
length) and i am interested in beta frequency.

First, it is not really clear to me whether i should use
cfg.method=mtmfft or cfg.method=mtmconvol. As i understand ,  the latter
calculates the FFT for shorter self-specified time windows to look at
changes in power over time. Is that right? however, if i have more
stimuli for one condition, how is the time component then taken into
account? does mtmconvol take all trials of one condition and average the
the power for each time window over all trials? Or is each trial treated
seperatly?

Say i would use cfg.method=mtmfft do i need to specify a cfg.tapsmofrq
when using cfg.taper='hanning'? As i understand hanning if appropriate
for lower freuquencies so i should use this taper to assess beta
frequencies.

Say i use cfg.method=mtmconvol what cfg.t_ftimwin is appropriate?

Thank you a lot for the help
Best
Victoria