[FieldTrip] tips for nice sourceplot using 'ortho'

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Thu Feb 27 09:19:55 CET 2014

Hi Vitória,

When you are calling ft_sourceinterpolate, you can call it with
different interpolation methods. I think the default is 'nearest',
which results in interpolated blocky figures. You can also specify
cfg.interpmethod = 'sphere_avg' or cfg.interpmethod = 'smudge', both
of which result in smoother interpolations.

Furthermore you can play around with the mask variable for plotting. I
guess you are now using the binary mask resulting from the output of
ft_sourcestatistics. You can also create a real-value mask based e.g.
on the statistical or relative values (which results in opacity being
ramped up according to effect size), and then apply the statistical
map to that. This would be something like the following:

tmp = int_stat.stat;
oldmask = int_stat.mask;
int_stat.mask = (tmp - min(tmp(:))) ./ (max(tmp(:)) - min(tmp(:))); %
set the new mask to range between 0 and 1
int_stat.mask(oldmask < 0.9) = 0; % mask out non-significant voxels

where int_stat is the result of ft_sourceinterpolate. Note that
because I used 'sphere_avg' interpolation in this case, the
interpolated mask will not be strictly binary anymore, hence the test
< 0.9, rather than == 1. (Also note that you should specify
cfg.opacitylim = [0 1] and cfg.opacitymap = 'rampup' when plotting
with a mask like the above.)

Does this do something like you want?

Best,
Eelke