[FieldTrip] regressconfound and frequency domain

Raghavan Gopalakrishnan gopalar.ccf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 23:33:18 CET 2014

Thanks Arjen,
Should I use ft_freqdescriptives to compute t descriptives for individual subjects, and then take that to group level instead of mean? If not, what are the other alternatives?
Thanks,
Raghavan

Hi Raghavan, ft_regressconfound run on timelock data seems to return output with avg field. However, ft_regressconfound run on frequency data, does not return average. I see the avg field being removed. Is there a reason? >> Not intentionally, but not an issue either. You could still use ft_freqdescriptives to compute the average for you, but see my comment below. Question - Since ft_regressconfound outputs power spectrum of individual trials - 4D matrix (instead of average), can I simply re-average the power spectrum over trials to see the average power for that subject. Also, I need to run grand average (over subjects) before running statistics. I hope these steps does not distort the data. Please advise. >> Remember that the mean over trials is not affected by your clean-up of trial-by-trial variance due to head movement. Taking each subject's mean (unaffected) to the group level is an approach that will not benefit from your clean-up. In order to benefit from reduced trial-by-trial variance, you'll need a measure that depends on it, e.g. t-descriptive, neural activity-behavior correlation (for taking to the group level). Hope this helps, Arjen ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----