[FieldTrip] time-frequency analysis: temporal alignment of output

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Fri Feb 7 12:56:13 CET 2014

Hi Aaron,

Indeed, the value you get at t = 0.3 will correspond to the wavelet
(or, equivalently, the time window that was tapered and
Fourier-transformed) centered at that time point. So if your time
window (cfg.t_ftimwin) is 400ms long, the wavelet will have stretched
from t = 0.1 to t = 0.5 s.

There is no default option to align the time points of interest to an
edge of the wavelet. However, there is a very straightforward solution
to what you are asking: if you want to make sure that the wavelet
'knows nothing' of the future after e.g. t = 0.5s, then only consider
the time points up to and including t = 0.3s for any subsequent
analyses. (Or more general up to t = tA - W/2, where tA is the point
of interest beyond which no info can bleed into the wavelet, and W is
the window length.)

Best,
Eelke