[FieldTrip] Problem averaging sources ("vary in the field 'inside'")

Tzvetan Popov tzvetan.popov at uni-konstanz.de
Wed Dec 3 16:55:52 CET 2014

Peace T,
this is due to the unnecessary interpolating and normalizing back and forth where due to some edge irregularities you end up with slightly different inside fields. Using mni aligned grids is actually meant to circumvent the need for normalizing etc.
In general you should use ft_sourceinterpolate in order to visualize 1). single subject data (this worked for you) 2). output data from ft_sourcegrandaverage or 3) output from ft_sourcestatistics. Because you are using the mni template approach you’ll never use ft_volumenormalize in your pipeline. So in order to make 2) and 3) work you should exchange the single subject source.dim and source.pos fields with template_grid.dim and template_grid.pos respectively. Subsequently you can call ft_sourcegrandaverage with all your subjects as an input and use the output to interpolate onto the mni template brain.

good luck
tzvetan