[FieldTrip] Aligning Electrodes

Julian Keil julian.keil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:15:39 CEST 2014

Hi Isaiah,

so you are having trouble using your own MRI, right? Have you tried the example-MRI that comes with the tutorial or the standard mri found in the templates-folder?
Depending on your MRI-machine you might not actually get any header info (which is stored in .hdr). For example, with the Simens Verio which I use here, I get DICOM files which contain a .hdr when read into field trip, however the .hdr field does not contain any information on the fiducials.

So, in order to realign your EEG-Electrodes and the MRI without the fiducials, you need to use the ft_electroderealign-function with cfg.method = interactive.
You also need to take some steps before that, i.e. you need to realign your MRI (ft_volumerealign), segment the MRI (ft_volumesegment) and create a head model (ft_prepare_headmodel).
From your plot I guess that you already have the head model and EEG-Electrodes, so you can use the code from the example script (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/align_eeg_electrode_positions_to_bem_headmodel):

% align interactive to surface of headmodel stored in vol.bnd
cfg = [];
cfg.method    = 'interactive';
cfg.elec      = elec;
cfg.headshape = vol.bnd(1);
elec_new = ft_electroderealign(cfg);
Good luck, in case you're still having trouble I can also send you a copy of my personal script I use to create head models.

Julian