[FieldTrip] repairing bad channels

Hwee Ling Lee hweeling.lee at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:12:28 CEST 2014

Dear Jörn,

Pardon my ignorance, however, I'm not exactly sure what you mean as I'm not
an expert in matlab programming. I've checked the functions, but I still
don't understand how I could resolve my issue.

In addition, I checked on Easycap website, and find that the Montage 11 (or
what the template directory called 'easycapM11.mat') is the closest fit to
the cap that I used for the EEG recordings (At least that's what I gathered
from their website).

Could you please alternatively show me how you would do for repairing bad
channels for the EEG data (an example)?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Hweeling

On 5 August 2014 14:10, "Jörn M. Horschig" <jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Hweeling,
>
> reading the help of the function might help ;)
>
>     The EEG or MEG sensor positions can be present in the data or can be
>> specified as
>>      cfg.elec          = structure with electrode positions,
>> seeFT_DATATYPE_SENS  <http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.
>> nl/reference/ft_datatype_sens>
>>      cfg.grad          = structure with gradiometer definition,
>> seeFT_DATATYPE_SENS  <http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.
>> nl/reference/ft_datatype_sens>
>>      cfg.elecfile      = name of file containing the electrode positions,
>> seeFT_READ_SENS  <http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/reference/ft_read_sens>
>>      cfg.gradfile      = name of file containing the gradiometer
>> definition, seeFT_READ_SENS  <http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.
>> nl/reference/ft_read_sens>
>>

> The cross-reference to ft_datatype_sens should help you to resolve your
> issue (and check out the FieldTrip/template directory)
>
> Best,
> Jörn
>

> On 8/5/2014 1:53 PM, Hwee Ling Lee wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to repair the bad channels by using the ft_channelrepair
>> function for 64 channels EEG data.
>>
>> I've set up the structure like this:
>>

>> load('/home/leeh/Programs/fieldtrip-20140803/template/
>> layout/easycapM11.mat');
>>
>>     cfg_neighb.method = 'distance';
>>     cfg_neighb.layout = lay;
>>     neighbours = ft_prepare_neighbours(cfg_neighb, data4);
>>
>>     cfg = [];
>>      if strcmp('S004', dir_analysis{sub}) == 1
>>         cfg.badchannel = {'C4', 'TP9', 'FC4', 'C2', 'F4'};
>>      end
>>      cfg.trials = 'all';
>>      cfg.method = 'average';
>>      cfg.neighbours = neighbours;
>>      cfg.elec = lay.pos;
>>      data5 = ft_channelrepair(cfg, data4);
>>
>> However, I get an error message:
>>
>> ttempt to reference field of non-structure array.
>> Error in ft_datatype_sens (line 136)
>> nchan = length(sens.label);
>> Error in ft_checkconfig (line 246)
>>   cfg.elec = ft_datatype_sens(cfg.elec);
>> Error in ft_preamble_trackconfig (line 38)
>> cfg = ft_checkconfig(cfg, 'trackconfig', 'on');
>> Error in ft_preamble (line 54)
>>   evalin('caller', ['ft_preamble_' cmd]);
>> Error in ft_channelrepair (line 76)
>> ft_preamble trackconfig
>>
>> Can someone please help me?
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Hweeling

> --
> Jörn M. Horschig
> PhD Student
> Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
> Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
> Radboud University Nijmegen
> Neuronal Oscillations Group
> FieldTrip Development Team
>
> P.O. Box 9101
> NL-6500 HB Nijmegen
> The Netherlands
>
> Contact:
> E-Mail: jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
> Tel:    +31-(0)24-36-68493
> [...]

Dr. rer. nat. Lee, Hwee Ling
Postdoc
German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) Bonn

Email 1: hwee-ling.lee<at>dzne.de
Email 2: hweeling.lee<at>gmail.com

https://sites.google.com/site/hweelinglee/home

Correspondence Address:
Ernst-Robert-Curtius Strasse 12, 53117, Bonn, Germany