[FieldTrip] regressconfound

McGowin, Inna mcgoiv0 at wfu.edu
Tue Apr 8 18:31:41 CEST 2014

Hello Raghavan,
I am actually looking at GLM head motion correction method (FieldTrip
regressconfound) with some phantom MEG data and found a few things that
might be of interest to you:
- the method is best for Evoked Response analysis as it requires trial
averaging at the end of the correction (you want to average motion
corrected data not data that has motion); the method works for the resting
state too but with an error linearly increasing with the amount of motion
-  you should see differences in before and after regressconfound
correction as the method re-aligns the waveforms for one (initial=averaged)
head position; you will even see the differences if comparing true
recordings (no motions) to recordings with the motion (which I did with the
phantom) as the method is not perfect and can't possibly remove all motion
confounds/effects completely
- your question: "What do I do if I am comparing a condition across
different time points, rather than 2 conditions in one time point?", my
answer: I would use one (initial) averaged head position (for 1st trail for
example) to compare, because you want to convert/correct your measurements
for *relative comparison* and they should represent the same head position
(for better statistical sensitivity).

Arjen,
Please correct me if I am mistaking.

Cheers,