[FieldTrip] Question on Cluster-based permutation tests on time-frequency data

Nithin Krishna nkrishna at mprc.umaryland.edu
Wed Apr 2 18:28:08 CEST 2014

Thanks a lot Joram,
Actually this helps a lot and the layout does have my system.
Cheers
Nithin

>>> Joram van Driel <joramvandriel at gmail.com> 4/2/2014 11:25 AM >>>

Dear Nithin,

I use Fieldtrip's permutation testing routines quite often on non-fieldtrip analyzed data. It is quite straightforward as long as you have your channel/neighbour layout the way Fieldtrip needs it. Try playing around with the ft_read_sens([EEG file with readable channel locations]), or simply choose a layout file from the folder /template/layout/ inside your fieldtrip folder; from this you need to use ft_prepare_neighbours; or more simple, choose a predefined neighbour structure from /template/neighbours. This covers quite a lot of systems; of course yours may not be in there; then I think ft_read_sens is your only option. I use EEGLAB for example, and I could import a .set file with a field EEG.chanlocs using ft_read_sens.

Then, I do the following for time-frequency data (but in principle this should be very similar for time-domain ERP data):

- I first configure the cfg as described in the cluster permutation testing tutorial
- Then I manually put my own analyzed data into a "freqs" structure; name is of course arbitrary, but should have the same fields as the output from ft_freqanalysis:

freq1.freq = [the values of the different frequencies];
freq1.time = [the different time points];
freq1.dimord = 'subj_chan_freq_time';
freq1.grad = [the result from ft_read_sense];
freq1.label = [the labels from the result of ft_read_sense];
freq1.powspctrm = [the result of your own custom/EEGLAB/whatever non-fieldtrip analysis, provided this has the dimensions of freqs.dimord];

Then I do this for example for two different conditions, make my design matrix in cfg.design, and put it into ft_freqstatistics(cfg,freq1,freq2)

Hope this helps.
- Joram