[FieldTrip] PLV with DICS beamformer

Jan.Hirschmann at med.uni-duesseldorf.de Jan.Hirschmann at med.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Apr 2 09:42:10 CEST 2014

Hi Natalia,

How are you? I didn't know you were fieldtripin', too.
I can't really tell if your approach is correct, but I have some comments. First, to me it seems that the imaginary part of csd is not enough to calculate PLV. But then, I don't know the details of how you compute it. Second, the 3 orientations issue is commonly tackled by singular value decomposition rather than by averaging (see e.g. beamformer_dics.m). One can use svd to compute the orientation of maximum power, and I think one could adapt the code, e.g. to get the orientation of maximum phase difference.

One straight-forward alternative I know of, is to extract source level time courses using the LCMV beamfomer. You can set cfg.projectmom='yes' to only get the direction of max. power. Then you could use ft_connectivityanalysis with cfg.method='plv' to get the phase locking values.

Hope this helps,
Jan