[FieldTrip] Question re: TMS-EEG FT Tutorial

Herring, J.D. (Jim) j.herring at fcdonders.ru.nl
Wed Apr 16 09:44:46 CEST 2014

Hi Bingshuo,

Be careful with categorizing IC’s based on their amplitudes alone. The kind
people on the mailinglist may correct me if I am wrong but the exact
amplitude of sources cannot be extracted using ICA. A very nice introduction
to ICA by Arnaud Delorme can be found here:
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~arno/indexica.html. It contains a nice example where
you can mix two sources and decompose them using fastICA (make sure to add
the fastica toolbox to your matlab path, e.g. fieldtrip/external/fastica):

% Create source time course

A = sin(linspace(0,50, 1000));   % A

B = sin(linspace(0,37, 1000)+5); % B

figure;

subplot(2,1,1); plot(A);         % plot A

subplot(2,1,2); plot(B, 'r');    % plot B

% Mix sources

M1 = A - 2*B;                  % mixing 1

M2 = 1.73*A+3.41*B;            % mixing 2

figure;

subplot(2,1,1); plot(M1);      % plot mixing 1

subplot(2,1,2); plot(M2, 'r'); % plot mixing 2

% Decompose using ICA

figure;

c = fastica([M1;M2]);              % compute and plot unminxing using
fastICA

subplot(1,2,1); plot(c(1,:));

subplot(1,2,2); plot(c(2,:));

Using the above line of code you can change the amplitude of the source time
courses (e.g. by multiplying A and/or B by a constant) and you can see that
the amplitude of the independent components remains unchanged.

I am not 100% certain but what I think Korhonen et al. are doing is
transforming the individual IC components back to sensor level and then
looking at the EEG amplitudes, which would be valid. In fieldtrip you could
realize this be using ft_rejectcomponent with ‘cfg.component’ set to all
components except the one you would like to keep.

I personally prefer to see whether the topography matches the location of
areas that are stimulated by the coil and to check whether the averaged IC
time courses contains the large exponential decay I would like to remove.

Could it be that after removing these high amplitude ICs your TEPs only look
more noisy because the vertical scaling changes while plotting? In other
words, the noise was already there before but you are just zooming in more
because the plotting function does not have to fit the high amplitude
components in the figure?

Best,

Jim