[FieldTrip] Question re: TMS-EEG FT Tutorial

Herring, J.D. (Jim) j.herring at fcdonders.ru.nl
Fri Apr 11 12:48:11 CEST 2014

Dear Bingshuo,

I am forwarding your e-mail to the Fieldtrip mailinglist so that others
can benefit and/or contribute from our discussion.

The reason why I like to postpone the interpolation to after the ICA is
that I noticed that when interpolating before ICA the interpolated data
would load onto one component. Removing this component did not make sense
as it would leave a flat line in the TEP, keeping it in did not make sense
either because the interpolation was done with, for example, the decay
artifact still in the data. After removing the decay artifact with ICA you
would be left with a sharp peak in the interpolated segment.

I see that it is difficult to reject trials and channels before
interpolation but keep in mind that before having done ICA large amounts
of variance of the data can be explained by the TMS related artifacts,
these will most likely cloud the detection of other types of artifacts
with functions such as ft_rejectvisual.

In my experience bad channels show up as separate independent components
anyway and can be removed after having run the ICA, but that may depend on
a number of factors I'm not aware of.

If you would like to reject bad channels prior to running ICA you could
also try to run ft_rejectvisual and specify cfg.latency to contain only
your pre-TMS period or a period post-TMS that does not contain any large
artifacts. That way you should at least be able to run metrics on your
data to remove bad channels. In any case you can always run ft_databrowser
on your data to visually inspect your channel time courses for bad
channels prior to running the ICA.

In any case you are of course free to try running the ICA after
interpolation yourself and share your experiences, perhaps this works fine
for you J

Best,

Jim