[FieldTrip] using cfg.runica.pca to reduce number of ICs

Lozano Soldevilla, D. (Diego) d.lozanosoldevilla at fcdonders.ru.nl
Tue Apr 8 15:29:03 CEST 2014

Hi Fred,

I don't know the magical number but I see the following options:

a) Before ICA, concatenate all single trials and ask for the rank of your data. Use it as your cfg.runica.pca input.

b) Some users notice that when you sort IC by variance, beyond component 30, the IC topo/activation does not look like physiologically meaningfull. It matches with the PCA reduction before ICA with other papers:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15219593
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19699307

Might be somebody in the forum have tried (by simulations or in real data) on the effects of PCA component reduction on ICA.

I hope it helps,

Diego