[FieldTrip] spatial and temporal ICA after beamformer

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Fri Apr 4 10:17:55 CEST 2014

Hi Tyler,

sorry, I realized too late that you want to use LCMV on ICA components -
mostly because your approach resulted in many different erros ;). Afaik,
it is not possible to use beamforming on ICA components. On Wednesday we
talked about this in our weekly FieldTrip meeting and identified some
occasions where FieldTrip is not handling IC-data well. This can lead to
unexpected results and missing warnings or errors. However, you can use
dipole modelling (like EEGlab does) or MNE if you want to. These should
work with ICs.

Any reason why you want to use LCMV on ICs? In theory, both steps
constitute a spatial filter, so you can try to be smart and first to
LCMV on all your channel level data, and then apply the LCMV spatial
filter on the individual backprojected ICs. Somewhat a complicated
procedure, but I think it would work?

Best,
Jörn

On 4/4/2014 7:23 AM, Tyler Grummett wrote:

> Hello fieldtrip,
>

> I was wondering whether it was possible in the fieldtrip toolbox to
> run a spatial and temporal ICA on data after it has been run through
> ft_sourceanalysis (We can a LCMV beamformer on EEG data that had been
> timelocked).
>

> Currently it is saying that I need raw data for it to be processed.
>

> Tyler
>

> *************************
>
> /Tyler Grummett ( BBSc, BSc(Hons I))/
> /PhD Candidate/