[FieldTrip] Question on Cluster-based permutation tests on time-frequency data

Joram van Driel joramvandriel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:25:29 CEST 2014

Dear Nithin,

I use Fieldtrip's permutation testing routines quite often on non-fieldtrip
analyzed data. It is quite straightforward as long as you have your
channel/neighbour layout the way Fieldtrip needs it. Try playing around
with the ft_read_sens(*[EEG file with readable channel locations]*), or
simply choose a layout file from the folder /template/layout/ inside your
fieldtrip folder; from this you need to use ft_prepare_neighbours; or more
simple, choose a predefined neighbour structure from /template/neighbours.
This covers quite a lot of systems; of course yours may not be in there;
then I think ft_read_sens is your only option. I use EEGLAB for example,
and I could import a .set file with a field EEG.chanlocs using ft_read_sens.

Then, I do the following for time-frequency data (but in principle this
should be very similar for time-domain ERP data):

- I first configure the cfg as described in the cluster permutation testing
tutorial
- Then I manually put my own analyzed data into a "freqs" structure; name
is of course arbitrary, but should have the same fields as the output from
ft_freqanalysis:

freq1.freq = [the values of the different frequencies];
freq1.time = [the different time points];
freq1.dimord = 'subj_chan_freq_time';
freq1.grad = [the result from ft_read_sense];
freq1.label = [the labels from the result of ft_read_sense];
freq1.powspctrm = [the result of your own custom/EEGLAB/whatever
non-fieldtrip analysis, provided this has the dimensions of freqs.dimord];

Then I do this for example for two different conditions, make my design
matrix in cfg.design, and put it into ft_freqstatistics(cfg,freq1,freq2)

Hope this helps.
- Joram

Joram van Driel, MSc.
PhD student @ University of Amsterdam