[FieldTrip] cluster based timelock statistics minimum time parameter

Aaron Schurger aaron.schurger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 00:32:52 CEST 2013

That is a good point. And the choice of min number of time samples
depends heavily on how you have low-pass filtered or smoothed your
data. If you low-pass filter without downsampling, then you've
"artificially" given yourself a much bigger N for a comparison at some
peak in your signal. In general the lower the cutoff frequency of your
low-pass filter (without downsampling), the more time samples (or
lower samplewise p value) you need to make for a significant cluster.
A good rule of thumb is simply to always down-sample to ~ 3 x the
cutoff frequency when you apply a low-pass filter (or smoothing). So
if you low-pass filter at 20 Hz, then downsample to 60 Hz, before
running any permutation test. The permutation test will run a lot
faster too!
Aaron