[FieldTrip] gamma oscillations, how to prove they are (not) there

Rojas, Don Don.Rojas at ucdenver.edu
Thu Oct 17 19:04:22 CEST 2013

Ben,

Gamma oscillations are tiny and the 1/f characteristic normally obscures them in fft plots. I don't think that gamma is a particularly convincing oscillation that you would expect to see in a raw waveform because 1) it is so small and 2) it is a rather broad band that doesn't look like a sinusoid. Since you have two conditions to compare, one of which you expect to see greater gamma for, use ft_math to create a difference spectrum, which will remove much of the 1/f characteristic and emphasize the condition differences. Also, if you don't see condition differences, you can try computing the same thing for post-stimulus vs. pre-stimulus fft. The same logic would apply to your spectrograms.

Best,

Don