[FieldTrip] where can I get complex amplitudes for each trial in ft_freqanalysis?

Constantino Méndez Bértolo constantino.mendezbertolo at ctb.upm.es
Fri Oct 11 23:43:27 CEST 2013

Dear Woun,

It is possible you may have already solved the problem. In case you didn't,
let me tell you that:
When doing timelocks or freqanalysis at the individual level you can set:

   - cfg.keeptrials = 'yes'

and the output structure will have a field with each single trial in
addition to the "avg" field that you already have.
At the population level (ft_timelockgrandaverage, ft_freqgrandaverage) the
analogous option is

   - cfg.keepindividuals = 'yes'

And the resulting structure will have an additional field called
"individual".
Keeptrials and keepindividuals are set to "no" by default. When "keeping"
trials/individuals the output will be much bigger, depending on the number
of channels, trials, time,... specially for TFanalysis you usually need to
put an eye on that (load times are faster, space consuming, etc). It may be
a good habit in order to keep good track of your processing but it can be a
nuisance too
Tip: look at the field "dimord". Now you have: chan_freq_time, what you
want is having 'rpt_chan_freq_time'. 'rpt' refers to each trial/individual.
I hope I did not mislead your question. If this small talk actually solved
your problem, let me suggest you to highlight your fieldtrip functions and
press F1, and do it often, magic will happen., it will help learning much
faster.
Cheers,
Tino

2013/10/11 woun zoo <instanton at gmail.com>

> Hi
>
> I'd like to know the way to keep each trial's time-frequency data (complex
> amplitude from fourier method). For example, if I have 20 trials and run
> ft_freqanalysis for time-frequency spectra, I end up having only final
> averaged result. Where can I see each individual trial's time-frequency
> complex amplitudes? Or what should I do to have TF data from all single
> trials?
>
> Thank you very much.

Constantino Méndez-Bértolo
Laboratorio de Neurociencia Clínica, Centro de Tecnología Biomédica (CTB)

Parque Científico y Tecnológico de la UPM, Campus de Montegancedo

28223 Pozuelo de Alarcón, Madrid, SPAIN