[FieldTrip] Cluster-level permutation test statistics

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Thu Oct 3 16:39:14 CEST 2013

Hi Valerie,

The crucial thing to note here is that it does not make sense to pair
any individual trial in condition A with another individual trial in
condition B. There are no pairs, the design is
between-units-of-observation, thus a two-sample (= independent) t-test
is used. Note furthermore that when doing this test you are testing a
hypothesis about a population of trials, and not about a population of
people. If you want to test a hypothesis about a population of people,
you would typically compute some average value for condition A and
condition B for each subject, and then do a test over subjects. Note
that here you would do a paired-sample (= dependent) t-test, since now
it does make sense to pair each value in condition A with another
value in condition B (namely, those belonging to the same subject).
Now you have one value per condition per subject, and each subject was
tested in two conditions.

Does this help?

Best,
Eelke