[FieldTrip] Automatically saving GDF using the realtime buffer

Eric Pohlmeyer notthemindprobe at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 15:01:11 CEST 2013

Fieldtrip:

Hi, I am a new user of Fieldtrip, but our lab has a (pretty well working) real-time analysis of BioSemi EEG using two computers, matlab, and the FieldTrip buffer.  The buffer is used for communicating data between two machines: machine A collects and saves the data while also writingto the buffer, and machine B uses matlab to read the data off of the buffer (TCP/IP connection) and then run a soft real-time analysis of the EEG data.

Currently we manually start and stop the saving of a GDF file on machine A by hitting the S and D keys.

I would like to automatically start and stop the file saving, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?  I read that the OnlineDataManager (which interacts with our biosemi2ft code) handles the saving, and also does listen for ASCII messages on a TCP port for various commands, including "SAVE START/STOP".  Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer, and haven't been able to figure out how to write those commands to the port.  Is there a way to use the ft_write_data (or similar) to do that?  How do you make address the command to the specific port?

Any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks!

Eric