[FieldTrip] gamma oscillations, how to prove they are (not) there

van Lier Ben ben.vanlier at bsse.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 17 18:20:40 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I am trying to show an increase in gamma oscillations. According to literature they should be there without a doubt. But, I am not too sure about the actual recording - i have the feeling i was just recording noise.

When i eyeball raw traces, i do not see a difference between condition 1 and 2. Same for the PSD and spectrograms, just the 1/f noise.

My question is, could there still be (eg low amplitude) oscillation in the data that you just wont see by eye? what is your experience in this?

Using freqstatistics, some channels do show significance but im a bit skeptical. I have been playing around with freqstatistics and simulated data from freqsimulation and the stats only made sense when i could clearly see it by eye in the spectrogram as well...

Cheers,
Ben