[FieldTrip] source statistics with ROI yields NaN clusters

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Wed Oct 16 16:07:41 CEST 2013

Hi Vitoria,

I guess that is the same error that Roey Schurr described a few days
back. There were some changes recently in the atlas lookup function (we
replaced one function and made another more general). Apparently that
broke some things, or you two just happen to do this as the first ever ;)
The only thing I can think of is that you might need to interpolate to
the MNI template so that the dimensions are matched between the atlas
and your source structures. Could you give that a try and let us know
whether that helps?

Best,
Jörn

On 10/16/2013 11:19 AM, Vitória Magalhães Piai wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to run ft_sourcestatistics with a specified ROI. It's data
> (MNEs) averaged over time.
>
> If I run ft_sourcestatistics without an ROI, I get a cluster with prob
> = .178. It looks like this (figure attached), where I masked using the
> t-values.
> Since I'm dealing with an N400-like component, I've got good reasons
> to expect the effect to be localised (mainly) to left temporal areas.
>
> So I tried adding this to my cfg:
>
> cfgst.atlas        =  'aal\ROI_MNI_V4.nii';
> cfgst.roi          = {'Temporal_Mid_L'  'Temporal_Sup_L'
> 'Temporal_Inf_L' };
> cfgst.avgoverroi   = 'yes';
> cfgst.hemisphere   = 'left';
> cfgst.inputcoord   = 'mni' ;
> stat = ft_sourcestatistics(cfgst, iRel{:}, iIde{:});
>
> If cfgst.avgoverroi   == 'yes'; I get the following error:
>
> ??? In an assignment  A(:) = B, the number of elements in A and B
> must be the same.
> Error in ==> clusterstat at 187
>     tmp(cfg.inside) = postailobs;
> Error in ==> ft_statistics_montecarlo at 326
>   [stat, cfg] = clusterstat(cfg, statrand, statobs,'issource',issource);
> Error in ==> statistics_wrapper at 298
>     [stat, cfg] = statmethod(cfg, dat, design, 'issource',issource);
> Error in ==> ft_sourcestatistics at 107
>     [stat, cfg] = statistics_wrapper(cfg, varargin{:});
>
> If cfgst.avgoverroi   == 'no';
> ft outputs "found  positive clusters in observed data" and
> stat.posclusters/negclusters is only NaN. This is regardless of
> whether cfgst.roi is one label or a cell array.
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
> I've been completely stuck on source statistics for these MNEs for
> days, so /any/ help would be highly appreciated, even if it is to
> suggest another way to do the stats!
>
> Thanks a lot, Vitória

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student