[FieldTrip] ICA/PCA EOG artifact removal

Hamid Mohseni hamid.mohseni at eng.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 10 12:51:07 CEST 2013

This is an interesting question!

I think PCA is better than ICA in eye-blink removal. Because what ICA does
is first ESTIMATING the eye blink component and then linearly removing that
component from the data set. However, in PCA approach, a better estimation
of eyeblink component is employed (using for example eye-blink system) to
linearly remove that component from the data set---note that this component
also does not contain brain activity. In the cases when we do not have the
direct eye-blink measurement ICA is better.

Other ideas?

Thanks

Hamid R. Mohseni, PhD
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow