[FieldTrip] follow-up on grad fields with NaNs after ICA

Vitória Magalhães Piai vitoria.piai at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 04:26:17 CEST 2013

Hi FT-ers,

It took me a while to find some older posts that would answer my
question, and this thread almost did the whole job:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-July/006779.html
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-July/006788.html

Like Alex, I figured out that it was the ICA that left my grad.chanpos
with NaNs only, and like Haiteng, I thought just replacing the grad
field with a pre-ICA grad field would be one way to go.
But just like Alex I was wondering whether this is the right way to go:
"however, it feels somewhat dangerous to perform such "dirty" fixes,
since that grad info is probably removed for a certain reason. We are
oblivious to its impact subsequent steps like planar transform and
source reconstruction."
Talking to a knowledgeable colleague yesterday about this issue, he also
had his question marks. But I don't see any follow-up on Alex's remark
(I guess he further discussed this with colleagues while drinking coffee
at the DCCN kitchen...! :-)
SS
So I still don't know the answer and maybe some other people may want to
know it as well in the future.

Any opinion on whether it's safe to use pre-ICA grad information for
subsequent planar transformation and source analyses?
Thanks a lot, Vitória

--
** Please consider the environment - do you really need to print? **