[FieldTrip] FEM headmodel: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables and Intel Visual Fortran Redistributables

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Fri Nov 29 14:03:09 CET 2013

Hi Gwenael,

I am not sure how much you know about mex-files, so this might go a bit
over the top. The error you are describing probably stems from the fact
that there are additional dependencies to other files on the
mexed-version. We encountered similar things in the past with other
FieldTrip functions, and found that the 2008 compiler actually should be
compatible with any Windows version. Maybe the one who compiled the
simbio toolbox did something other funky? Anyway, long story short,
since the simbio toolbox is an external toolbox, we as the FieldTrip
team do not maintain it. I don't know what you precisely need to
install. You can use http://dependencywalker.com/ to find dependencies
of the respective mexw64 file and try to find the respective packages
containing these files. Just to assure you, when I try to execute the
mex-file on Windows, I also get that error. On Linux it works fine
though. I will bring this up in the next FieldTrip meeting and we will
discuss this. We'll let you know about a solution. You could also go
ahead and contact the Simbio guys directly (and share whatever the
solution is with us, please)

Best,
Jörn

Gwenael Birot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to use the simbio package available in fieldtrip in order
> to compute the FEM headmodel. My OS is windows 7 64bits. When
> executing ft_headmodel_simbio I have got the following error:
>
> Error using sb_calc_stiff (line 89)
> Error executing mex-file. Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables
> and Intel Visual Fortran Redistributables are required.
>
> I installed these packages but I still have the error. It looks like
> there is several versions of these packages. Do I need one in
> particular or does any version is supposed to work?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Gwenael

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student