[FieldTrip] ICA in TMS-EEG

Max Cantor mcantor at umich.edu
Tue Nov 26 19:30:06 CET 2013

Hi Bingshuo,

I'm not sure what your code for the ICA is, but it may be beneficial to
have the topoplots lined up with the signal, as I find it easier to
recognize EOG and ECG artifacts in the signal.

The following tutorials explain ICA:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/use_independent_component_analysis_ica_to_remove_ecg_artifacts
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/use_independent_component_analysis_ica_to_remove_eog_artifacts

In the ECG tutorial, they give a line of code:

cfg = [];
cfg.channel = {comp.label{2:5} comp.label{15:18}}; % components to be plotted
cfg.layout = 'CTF275.lay'; % specify the layout file that should be
used for plotting
ft_databrowser(cfg, comp)

Which outputs the topoplot and the time course of the signal together in a
component browser.

As far as criteria for correction, our policy is to err on the conservative
side; only rejecting EOG and ECG artifacts, even if we find other
components that are clearly artifactual (such as are picking up line noise).

Without seeing your script, I can't really think of anything offhand that
you are doing wrong, but I'm also not very familiar with TMS so there may
be someone else who could answer that part of the question better.

Good luck,

Max Cantor
Research Assistant
Computational Neurolinguistics Lab