[FieldTrip] Only 1 and Inf as output of ft_connectivityanalysis

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu May 2 21:12:22 CEST 2013

Hi Lucia,

The warnings indicate that you are dividing by zero. Are you sure that your cfg is correct?

Please try

cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'coh';
coh = ft_connectivityanalysis(cfg, freq);

This should work.

On May 2, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Lucia Melloni wrote:

> Hi jan-mathijs
>
> Unfortunately I get the same result whether or not I remove the mean.
> Best,
> -- LucĂ­a
>
> On May 2, 2013, at 9:57 AM, jan-mathijs schoffelen <jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hi Lucia,
>>
>> Could you remove cfg.removemean = 'yes' and try again?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jan-Mathijs
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2013, at 2:38 AM, Lucia Melloni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>> I am trying to calculate coherence using ft_connectivityanalysis, but
>>> I am getting only ones and infinity as output in cohspctrm with all of
>>> my data sets.
>>>
>>> I first run ft_freqanalysis with
>>> cfg.method = 'mtmfft';
>>> cfg.taper = 'dpss';
>>> cfg.output = 'fourier';
>>> cfg.foilim = [1 45];
>>> cfg.tapsmofrq = 1;
>>> cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
>>> cfg.keeptapers = 'yes';
>>> freq = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data);
>>>
>>> Whether I do or I do not specify cfg.channel and cfg.channelcmb here
>>> does not seem to make a difference for my problem later on. The
>>> spectra look absolutely fine.
>>>
>>> I then run ft_connectivityanalysis with
>>> cfg.method    = 'coh';
>>> cfg.removemean= 'yes';
>>> cfg.trials    = 'all';
>>> cfg.feedback  = 'yes';
>>> cfg.complex   = 'abs';
>>> coh           = ft_connectivityanalysis(cfg, freq);
>>>
>>> The cohspctrm looks like this:
>>> val(:,:,1,1) =
>>>
>>>     1   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf   Inf
>>> Inf   Inf   Inf (etc.)
>>>
>>> I get the following warning during ft_connectivityanalysis
>>>
>>> Warning: Divide by zero.
>>>  In ft_connectivityanalysis at 524
>>> Warning: Divide by zero.
>>>  In ft_connectivityanalysis at 524
>>>
>>> The same happens if I try to calculate PLV through ft_connectivityanalysis.
>>> This is with Fieldtrip version 20130422 and 20130427, Matlab R2009a,
>>> Windows 7 (64bit).
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>> Thanks!
>>> Lucia