[FieldTrip] Some Questions on the resample design

Chao Wang chaowang0704 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:08:57 CEST 2013

I'm sorry to make a mistake just now. The previous message sent didn't
fullfill my meaning.

I carefully inspected the code in the function *resampledesign* but I was
quite confused by the codes in the bootstrap section (For paired design,
the design matrix should be like this, design(1,:)=[1:N 1:N], design(2,1:N)=1
and design(2,N+1:2*N)=2 and N is for example the subject number; and
cfg.uvar=2):
91     Nvar  = size(design,1);   % number of factors or regressors
92     Nrepl = size(design,2);   % number of replications
248   units = design(cfg.uvar,:);
249   for k = 1:length(unique(units))
250     sel = find(units==k);
251     indx(:,k) = sel;
252     Nrep(k)   = length(sel);
253   end
254   resample = zeros(cfg.numrandomization, Nrepl);
274   tmp = zeros(cfg.numrandomization*10, Nrepl/Nrep(1));
275   for i=1:cfg.numrandomization*10
276      tmp(i,:) = *sort*(randsample(1:Nrepl/Nrep(1), Nrepl/Nrep(1)));
277   end

278   tmp = unique(tmp, 'rows');
279   fprintf('found %d unique rows in bootstrap matrix of %d bootstraps',
size(tmp,1), cfg.numrandomization*10);
292   for i=1:cfg.numrandomization
293      for k=1:size(indx,1)
294        resample(i,indx(k,:)) = indx(k,tmp(i,:));
295      end
296   end

My question was on the code in 276 line. These code was to generate a
number of rand numbers (about cfg.numrandomization lines) in the range of 1
to Nrepl/Nrep(1), in which Nrepl is the number of replications in the
design and Nrep is the number of repetition (Nrep(:)=2 for paired design).
If the function '*sort*' is used, then every row of matrix tmp is the same,
which will be 1,2,..., Nrepl/Nrep(1). And this will lead the 278 line to
the result: temp=1:Nrepl/Nrep(1) (because of the function unique). This
result is by no means what we want, I think. What we do want is several
rows numbers with same range but with distinct orders. Only in this way,
can we guarantee that each resample is not the same.