[FieldTrip] Phase-amplitude coupling (PAC)

Gregor Volberg gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de
Fri May 3 09:35:40 CEST 2013

Dear Emilio,

I might not be fully up to date with the functionality of
ft_connectivityanalysis, but as much as I know there is some
preprocessing necessary to get a phase-to-amplitude coupling. A common
strategy is to compute a Hilbert transform on the upper frequency band.
This can be used to get the 'analytic amplitude', which is essentially a
waveform that connects the amplitude peaks of the higher frequency. If
the gamma amplitude is driven by the theta phase, then the analytic
waveform  should be phase-locked with the theta cycle. The latter part
of the analysis could be performed with the option 'plv' in
ft_connectivityanalysis.
For the processing steps you might want to have a look at an example
script  at http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/crossfreq/phalow_amphigh.

Best regards,
Gregor