[FieldTrip] ft_preprocessing error message during reading some files

Beom Jun Min mbj0310 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:47:14 CEST 2013

Dear all,

Hello, my name is BJ Min from Korea.

I'm dealing with EEG data of many subjects.

When I run ft_preprocessing, the error message below shows with only some
files of my data. (not all files)

Warning: rounding "endsample" to the nearest integer
> In ft_read_data at 100
  In ft_preprocessing at 577
??? Error using ==> ft_read_data at 149
cannot read data after the end of the file

Error in ==> ft_preprocessing at 577
      dat = ft_read_data(cfg.datafile, 'header', hdr, 'begsample',
begsample, 'endsample', endsample, 'chanindx', rawindx,
      'checkboundary', strcmp(cfg.continuous, 'no'), 'dataformat',
cfg.dataformat)

I think that there might be a kind of problem in data acquisition, and I
modified below scripts in the ft_read_data function with comment %.

% % test whether the requested data segment is not outside the file
% if any(begsample<1)
%   error('FILEIO:InvalidBegSample', 'cannot read data before the begin of
the file');
% elseif any(endsample>(hdr.nSamples*hdr.nTrials))
%   error('FILEIO:InvalidEndSample', 'cannot read data after the end of the
file');
% end

After that, the ft_preprocessing worked well.

However, the files with the first problem showed additional warning message
while running ft_definetrial. (not error message)

Warning: Integer operands are required for colon operator when used as
> In fileio\private\loadcnt at 464
  In ft_read_header at 1450
  In ft_preprocessing at 398

Warning: rounding "endsample" to the nearest integer
> In ft_read_data at 100
  In ft_preprocessing at 577

Also, during ft_redefinetrial, following warning message occurs.(not error
message)

Warning: removing inconsistent sampleinfo
> In ft_datatype_raw at 97
  In ft_checkdata at 213
  In ft_redefinetrial at 104

Warning: the trial definition in the configuration is inconsistent with the
actual data
> In utilities\private\warning_once at 116
  In utilities\private\fixsampleinfo at 74
  In ft_datatype_raw at 154
  In ft_checkdata at 213
  In ft_redefinetrial at 206

Warning: reconstructing sampleinfo by assuming that the trials are
consecutive segments of a continuous recording
> In utilities\private\warning_once at 116
  In utilities\private\fixsampleinfo at 79
  In ft_datatype_raw at 154
  In ft_checkdata at 213
  In ft_redefinetrial at 206

I wonder if these messages during ft_redefinetrial mean wrong defining
trials.
Should I continue these process like this, modifying the ft_preprocessing
function?
Or, is it better to exclude some erroneous files?

Best regards

--
BeomJun Min, M.D.

Department of Medical System Engineering (DMSE)
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST)
261 Cheomdan-gwagiro(Oryong-dong), Buk-gu, Gwangju
500-712, Republic of Korea (South)
Phone: +82-62-715-3266 / Fax: +82-62-715-3244
E-mail: mbj0310 at gmail.com, http://bmssa.gist.ac.kr