[FieldTrip] MNE tutorial

Robin robince at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:04:03 CEST 2013

Running the full Freesurfer reconstruction pipeline (without the hybrid
skull stripping and Talaraich alignment on the fieldtrip side) appears to
have been successful.

However, when I try to continue with the tutorial I find that my volume and
source grid don't line up (even before any issues converting to sensor
space):

Figure: http://imgur.com/uo9uPUc (code below)

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

What coordinate system is the sub-oct-6-src.fif file in (created by MNE
suite)?
If it is in talairach coordinates, how do I load the Talairach aligned
image from the Freesurfer pipeline? (is it orig.mgz? I also tried nu.mgz)

Do I need to manually include the transform from transform/talairach.xfm?
To include that can I use it directly as mri.transform in fieldtrip or do I
need to multiply it by the existing mri.transform which is there when
transform represent?

Sorry if these are not fieldtrip questions but I am trying to follow the
fieldtrip MNE tutorial so I was hoping someone might know.

Thanks

Robin

% load freesurfer image
mri_fs_tal = ft_read_mri(fullfile(fs_dir, sub.code, 'mri', 'orig.mgz'));
mri_fs_tal = ft_convert_units(mri_fs_tal, 'cm');
% load MNE grid% computed with mne_setup_source_space --ico -6
bnd = ft_read_headshape(fullfile(fs_dir, sub.code, 'bem', [sub.code
'-oct-6-src.fif']), 'format', 'mne_source');
sourcespace = ft_convert_units(bnd, 'cm');
% Volume conduction model
cfg = [];cfg.coordsys = 'spm';cfg.output = {'brain'};
seg = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri_fs_tal);
cfg = [];cfg.method = 'singleshell';
vol = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, seg);
% Check volume conduction
figure; hold on
ft_plot_vol(vol, 'facecolor', 'none'); alpha 0.5;
ft_plot_mesh(sourcespace, 'edgecolor', 'none'); camlight