[FieldTrip] Problems reading in DICOM

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Wed Mar 13 23:26:12 CET 2013

Hi

DICOM files come with different extensions. I guess it depends on the scanner (Siemens/Philips/...). But the file format should be the same as it is a standard format, so the extension should not matter. The fileio/ft_filetype.m function detects both dcm and ima files as dicom.

if the files have no extension, the autodetection fails and you should explicitly specify the format as
   mri = ft_read_mri('single_file_of_DICOM_series', 'format', 'dicom');
I now realize that to be a hidden option. I'll get that fixed in the function documentation.

I recommend that you specify a filename from somewhere in the middle of the stack of files. There are often a few localizer scans in the same directory, and these (due to the sorting of the file names) tend to end up at the beginning or end of the (alphabetical) directory listing.

cheers
Robert