[FieldTrip] Antw: Re: MNE surface data: normalising and averaging?

Gregor Volberg Gregor.Volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Mar 6 09:50:55 CET 2013

Hi Gio, Jan-Mathijs and Jörn,

thank you all for your helpful replies. Gio, a special 'thank you' for your
very detailled response. These are very interesting points, though somewhat
beyond of what I try to do. I will be working through the suggested literature
and the new tutorial and might come back later if there are further questions.

Best regard,
Gregor

--
Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de> (
mailto:gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de )
>>> Gio Piantoni <gio at gpiantoni.com> 05.03.2013 09:20 >>>
Hi Gregor,

I also like the surface approach a lot, but things get really
complicated when you have to average across subjects. I don't know if
you are familiar with statistics in freesurfer, but what they do is to
convert the source points of the single subject to a subject-specific
sphere. Then the sphere is averaged across subjects. The
coregistration between these spheres takes advantage of landmarks.

See my attempt at:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2012-September/005585.html
If I understand you correctly, you are at step 3). You can use smudge
to get to the high-resolution smoothwm (or pial). Then the number of
vertices in smoothwm corresponds to the number of vertices in the
sphere.

Here you have two options: use fieldtrip code or MNE code. I tried
using fieldtrip code, but where I got stuck was to do statistics on
the averaged sphere (taken from fsaverage). I used this code:
https://github.com/gpiantoni/eventbased/blob/77c3f85ef94baf9d4ab629d48a31e8046c924518/powsource_grand.m#L136-L158
where data{i1,i2,p,h} is already projected onto the subject-specific sphere.
However, after projecting to the averaged sphere, you need to do
statistics on a 2-d cortical sheet and, from my understanding, the
subfunctions to create clusters do not work all that well. I think
it'd be very powerful to do statistics on a 2d sheet. See
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2012-January/004749.html
and
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2012-February/004766.html
for discussion. I did not get far because the clustering methods
needed updated to work on cortical sheets in an efficient manner.

Another route you can try is to use the MNE/freesurfer software to do
that. See for example: http://martinos.org/mne/manual/morph.html You'd
just write the surface to disk and use MNE/freesurfer. I personally
don't like the method to correct for multiple comparisons in
freesurfer (which I think might give false positive) and I think that
the fieldtrip stats is better, but I had some problems getting to work
on 2-d cortical sheets.

For the moment, I decided to go with the volume-based approach,
although I have the feeling that it's less accurate and less
sensitive. See also: Tucholka, A., Fritsch, V., Poline, J.-B., and
Thirion, B. (2012). An empirical comparison of surface-based and
volume-based group studies in neuroimaging. Neuroimage 63, 1443–1453.

Maybe I confused you more than helped, but if you manage to do
statistics on surfaces, please let me know because I'd be interested
in using it.

Hope this helps.

Gio

--