[FieldTrip] MNE surface data: normalising and averaging?

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Mon Mar 4 22:01:51 CET 2013

Hi Gregor,

would there be any reason why the following approach might not work?
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/create_single-subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_space?s[]=warp

The specific steps are in more detail explained in this (new) tutorial:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/development/beamformingextended

Best,
Jörn

On 3/4/2013 6:45 PM, Gregor Volberg wrote:
> Dear Fieldtrippers,
> I need to ask for a helpful hint on MNE source reconstructions.
> Following this tutorial
> http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/minimumnormestimate I obtained
> nice individual cortical meshes and source points; the MNE forward and
> inverse solution for the individuals all work well. I would now like
> to normalize the individual grids to a template brain in order to do
> statistics and averaging for plotting. I figured out that I could use
> ft_sourceinterpolate to tranform the grid into a volumetric
> representation, and then use ft_volumenormalise to normalise to a
> standard brain.  But this did not work too well for source structures
> containing time series (like 'mne'-stcutures) where the computational
> load gets very high. I also tried to use a grid of one subject as a
> template for the other subject's grids with ft_sourceinterpolate and
> cfg.interpmethod = 'smudge', but this seems to require two grids with
> the same number of source points as input(?).
> Is there a way to do a normalisation directly on brain triangulations
> / source grids ? Thanks for any help!
> Best regards,
> Gregor
> --