[FieldTrip] Problems reading in DICOM

Markus Butz Markus.Butz at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Mar 13 12:11:21 CET 2013

Dear list,

I am experiencing problems reading in external MRI in DICOM format from a CD (doing it the first time though).
I wanted to do it the new and easy way as described here:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_can_i_convert_an_anatomical_mri_from_dicom_into_ctf_format?s[]=dicom

% read the DICOM files
mri = ft_read_mri('single_file_of_DICOM_series.IMA');

However, I have no single slices with extension *.ima but one dataset with the extension *.dcm and the other dataset with no extension for the single slice files. I am also not sure where to copy the DICOMDIR file.

When I try to open a single file of the *.dcm series I get:

mri = ft_read_mri('508652C3.dcm');

??? Undefined function or variable "hdr".

Error in ==> ft_read_mri at 216
  hdr     = hdr(keep);

Trying to read in a single file of the no extension series I get:

mri = ft_read_mri('73850486');

??? Error using ==> dicominfo at 41
The specified file is not in DICOM format

The Image Processing toolbox V 7.2 is installed and this is fieldtrip-20111101.

Any help appreciated!

Markus