[FieldTrip] non-existent mat in BEM headmodel

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Thu Mar 28 09:43:29 CET 2013

Hi Ricardo,

I assume that you are using the dipoli method? I recently discovered
that when the method fails, the error is caught and printed as a normal
fprintf message to the command window. Most likely it complained about
your segmentation or that something is wrong with the triangulation. I
am not sure about the other BEM methods, but you can check the code
whether a similar thing is done there.

In my limited experience, independent of what BEM method you are using,
this is solved by checking the segmentation again and making sure that
all boundaries (skull, scalp, brain) are close, i.e. that there are no
holes in the brain. Let me know if this is it for you.

Best,
Jörn

On 3/27/2013 5:10 PM, Ricardo Moura wrote:
> Dear all
> I am creating a BEM model for eeg, following the appropriate tutorial,
> but I have a problem when preparing the headmodel. The output I have
> from the ft_prepare_headmodel command does not contain the "mat", and
> so, when I try to generate the leadfield, it returns an error message
> due to non existent "mat". I saw that other users had similar problem,
> but I haven't found a solution though. So, what is wrong with my script?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Best,
> Ricardo
>

> load standard_mri.mat
> mri_orig=mri;
> disp(mri)
>
> % Segmenting the data
> cfg = [];
> cfg.output= {'scalp','skull','brain'};
> segmentedmri  = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri_orig);
> disp(segmentedmri)
> save segmentedmri segmentedmri
>
> % MESH
> cfg=[];
> cfg.tissue={'brain','skull','scalp'};
> cfg.numvertices = [3000 2000 <tel:%5B3000%202000> 1000];
> bnd=ft_prepare_mesh(cfg,segmentedmri);
> disp(bnd(1))
>
> % Head Model = variavel vol
> cfg        = [];
> cfg.method ='bem_dipoli'; %dipoli singlesphere
> vol        = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg, segmentedmri);
>

> >> disp(vol)
>              bnd: [1x3 struct]
>             cond: [0.3300 0.0041 0.3300]
>     skin_surface: 1