[FieldTrip] MNE surface data: normalising and averaging?

Gregor Volberg Gregor.Volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de
Mon Mar 4 18:45:22 CET 2013

Dear Fieldtrippers,

I need to ask for a helpful hint on MNE source reconstructions. Following this tutorial http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/minimumnormestimate I obtained nice individual cortical meshes and source points; the MNE forward and inverse solution for the individuals all work well. I would now like to normalize the individual grids to a template brain in order to do statistics and averaging for plotting. I figured out that I could use ft_sourceinterpolate to tranform the grid into a volumetric representation, and then use ft_volumenormalise to normalise to a standard brain.  But this did not work too well for source structures containing time series (like 'mne'-stcutures) where the computational load gets very high. I also tried to use a grid of one subject as a template for the other subject's grids with ft_sourceinterpolate and cfg.interpmethod = 'smudge', but this seems to require two grids with the same number of source points as input(?).
Is there a way to do a normalisation directly on brain triangulations / source grids ? Thanks for any help!
Best regards,
Gregor

--
Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de> ( mailto:gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de )