[FieldTrip] different frequency bins

Eelke Spaak eelke.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jul 22 15:00:39 CEST 2013

Dear Johanna,

The slight differences in frequency bins was probably caused by a
slightly different trial length for some of your participants. When
doing frequency analysis, the frequency resolution is determined by
the length of your data. (You can have a look at e.g. this FAQ entry:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/what_does_padding_not_sufficient_for_requested_frequency_resolution_mean
for more information.)

You mention that the differences in frequency bins are very small. In
your case, therefore, I would solve (or 'patch' ;) ) the problem by
simply doing something like:

participantB.freq = participantA.freq;

for all participants B with the aberrant frequency axis. Of course,
this only makes sense if the frequency axes between participants A and
B are actually almost identical!

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Eelke